- What is Swilly Mulroy Credit Union?
Swilly Mulroy is a community based Credit union providing financial services in the Fanad, Kerrykeel, Rathmullan and Milford areas. Our mission is to provide a range of financial services at attractive rates for the benefit of our members while maintaining the ethos of the credit union- “not for profit, not for charity but for service”.
- Where are we located?
The Swilly Mulroy Credit Union main office is based in Bridgetown, Kerrykeel in Co. Donegal. We also have sub-offices in the nearby towns of Milford and Rathmullan.
- What are the office opening hours?
Kerrykeel Office: 074-9150188:
(We Do Not Close for Lunch)
Tuesday: 9.30am- 5.15pm
Wednesday: 9.30am- 5.15pm
Thursday: 10.30am- 5.15pm
Saturday: 9.30am- 3.45pm
Milford Office: 074-9163300
Friday: 9.30am-1pm & 2pm-5.15pm
Saturday: 10am-1pm & 2pm- 4.45pm
Rathmullan Office: 074-9158700:
Saturday: 10am-1pm & 2pm-5.15pm
- What services do we offer?
Savings: Whether you’re saving for something in the future or just for a rainy day, regular saving is a good idea. Regular saving with Swilly Mulory credit union is an even better idea.
Insurance: Swilly Mulroy Credit union offers all eligible members insurance services. Some of these insurance services are paid for directly by the credit union.
Loans: We understand the positive effect a loan can have on your life, giving you the chance to get things when you needs or want them, so we always look at your whole story. Swilly Mulroy Credit Union only proposes loans with realistic term, which you can pay back in a way that works best for you. Swilly Mulroy Credit Union doesn’t charge for administration fees or transaction charges and you can pay back your personal loan early without penalty, if that becomes an option.
Currency Exchange: Swilly Mulroy Credit Union have teamed up with FEXCO in order to bring a currency exchange service into the areas of Kerrykeel, Milford, Rathmullan and Fanad. This service provides members (and non-members) with even better currency rates, 0% Commission for online orders and the ability to order over 40 currencies. In addition to this, there is no minimum spend required and no payment is made until you call in to collect your order.
Online Banking: Members can access their account through our online app : swillymulroycreditunion. Through that; member's can view their balances, withdraw and transfer money and operate their own account online.
Payzone: The convenient way to pay your household bills, top up your mobile phone and make other payments on your regular visits to Swilly Mulroy Credit Union. We collect payments on behalf of Ireland’s biggest utility companies including Bord Gais, ESB Electric Ireland, Eircom, AES and UPC. We can also take Eflow toll payments and Property Tax payments. Simply present your bill or card to the teller with your cash payment, they will process your transaction through the PayZone terminal. You get a receipt for every payment you make, and your customer account is credited the next working day. We also can issue phone credit for all major mobile phone networks including pre-pay mobile top-ups for Vodafone, O2, Meteor and now 3Pay.
- What types of loans do we offer?
Most loans are 1, 2 or 5 years in duration. From time to time we will offer special loan rates so it is beneficial to check in with Swilly Mulroy Credit Union regularly. We offer all types of loans designed to suit our members including;
- Personal Loans
- Car Loans
- Holiday Loans
- Home Improvement Loans
- Student Loans
- Business Start-Up Loans
- Back to School loans
- Communion and Confirmation Loans
- How do loans work?
When you have established a good savings patter, as a member you may apply for a loan. Loan applications are assessed in line with credit union’s loans policy in place at the time of assessment. At the moment first time borrowers are limited to loans which are not greater than three times their savings. All the first time borrowers must attend for an interview with the credit committee.
- What is loan protection insurance?
One of the great attractions for a credit union loan is the loan protection insurance. It repays the balance of the loan in the event of the borrowing member’s death. Cover is available for those in good health and carrying out normal occupational duties at the time the loan is granted.
Members can take out a loan in the confidence that their next of kin will not have to pay off the balance of the loan if the borrower dies.
Banks and other lending agencies charge a separate and expensive premium on top of the loan repayment for this service.
Even after paying through the nose most other financial institutions cease cover on the member’s 70th birthday, but Swilly Mulroy Credit Union will cover loans up to a member’s 85th birthday (please note some terms and conditions apply).
To qualify for Loan Protection Insurance borrowers must give full and honest disclosure of their health status. Normally an underlying health problem will not disqualify a borrower from obtaining cover, provided the member is able to go about their normal occupational duties, but the insurer must be made aware of the condition before the cover can be effected.
- What are the benefits of borrowing from Swilly Mulroy Credit Union?
At no extra cost to the borrowing member, loans are insured in the event of the member’s death (terms and conditions apply). On the death of an eligible borrowing member the loan dies with the member and the deceased member’s family is not liable for repaying the outstanding balance.
- We offer very competitive interest rates. 1% per month on the reducing balance, Approx. 12.68 % APR (Example 1,000 for 1 year, can be repaid weekly @ €20.43 with a Total Repayment of €1065.95 or 6.2% flat rate).
- We guarantee that the interest rate will never increase; it may come down but will never rise. Some loans available @ 6.5% APR. Example: €1,000 for 1 year can be repaid at €19.85 per week with a Total Repayment of €1,032.13 or 3.21% flat rate.
- Interest is only paid on the outstanding balance, the quicker your repay your loan the less interest you pay.
- There are no set up fees.
- There are no maintenance fees.
- There are no transaction charges, unlike others we do not charge you for making repayments.
- There are no penalties for early repayments, in fact we encourage them.
- We will endeavour to offer repayments which are affordable to the member and appropriate to the loan type and loan value.
- Repayments can be made by Direct Debit, whereby repayments are made directly from your bank account to your loan account in the credit union.
- Repayments can be deducted from your pay, provided that your employer participates in the scheme.
- Repayments can also be made on-line by EFT from your own armchair.
- Can I access my account(s) online?
Yes, with our secure online access, you can view your account information at any time, day or night right here on www.swillymulroycu.ie. Click log in and register for our online app.
- How do I register for online access?
Simply visit our website www.swillymulroycu.ie and click on ‘Log In' on the top right of the screen. Once there, please click ‘Register For Online Access' and complete the form. Accept the terms and conditions by ticking the box and click on the ‘Register’ button. Swilly Mulroy Credit Union will receive your application and subsequently, will issue you a PIN number.
Or, alternatively, call into our Kerrykeel office during opening hours and one of our staff members will be happy to assist you in registering for online access.
- How do I become a member of the credit union?
To become a member of SwillyMulroy Credit Union you must:
- Live within our common bond which encompasses the whole Fanad Peninsula from Ray Bridge circling Milford taking in Magheradrumman, Moyle Hill, Golan and ending at Cratlagh.
- Call into our office.
- Provide photographic ID e.g. Current Passport, Current Drivers Licence or Garda ML 10 form.
- Provide proof of address i.e. Recent Utility bill letter from Revenue or other Government Department (must be within the previous 3 months)
- You will be asked to provide your PPS No on an official document i.e. letter from revenue, medical card, payslip etc.
- Please note we are not permitted to accept the new Public Services Card as proof for any of the above.
- When all the above has been verified you will be asked to pay a €1.27 once off membership fee and lodge a minimum of €6.35 into your savings. Note! if your savings fall below the minimum €6.35 you will no longer be regarded as a member.
- How do I apply for a loan in the credit union?
To apply for a loan come into any of our offices and talk to a member of staff. Depending on, the amount you wish to borrow, and the purpose of the loan some supporting documentation may be required but, in general you will need;
- Proof of income to ascertain ability to repay
- Your membership details including PPS No. need to be up to date on the computer system(this is a legal requirement).
- If I take out a loan to buy a car, does the credit union have a hold on the car like some other lending agencies or do I own the car?
Simple answer, when you buy your car with a credit union loan you own the car. There is no hidden charges or conditions e.g. no up-front payments, no lump sum payment at the end of the term, no mileage restriction.
With a credit union car loan there is no fancy deals just a good deal!
- Why does the credit union advise me to leave my savings intact and take out a secured loan instead?
There is a couple of good reasons why you will be advised to take a secured loan rather than withdraw your savings:
- It can take a long time to accumulate savings, they can be spent in seconds and when they’re gone they’re gone. You may never get motivated to start saving again.
- Your savings are insured in the event of your death in most cases savings up to €12,700 will be doubled. This insurance is at no cost to you the member.
- Loans secured by shares are advanced at the low interest rate of 6.5% APR for example, Borrow €1,000 to be repaid at €19.85 per week,Total repayments €1032.13 or 3.21% flat interest rate.
- Your loan is also covered by insurance which means that in the event of your death your loan is fully repaid. Your next of kin will not be expected to pay the balance of your loan. Again you are not charged for this insurance. Other lenders may offer insurance for your loan but you will be charged a hefty premium for the cover. The Credit Union Loan Insurance covers the member up to the age of 85, other insurance providers cease cover at age 70. Check this out! A member has €1,000 in savings and is intending to spend €1,000 for whatever purpose. They can withdraw their savings and spend their money or they can take a secured loan at the low interest rate. Their savings remain intact, there is an obligation to repay the loan as agreed. At the end of the term the loan is repaid and the savings are still there.Consider in the unfortunate event that the member dies at any time during the repayment period, the loan will be paid and the savings will be doubled. (insurance subject to terms and conditions).
- What does loan protection life savings insurance (LPLS) mean to me the member?
As stated above, member’s savings and member’s loans are insured in the event of the members death. This insurance is paid for by the Credit Union and there is no direct cost to the member.
- What is death benefit insurance and does Swilly Mulroy Credit Union offer this to members?
Death Benefit Insurance is an insurance which SwillyMulroy Credit Union provides again at no direct cost to the member. It is different to and separate from the Life Savings cover and the Loan cover. The DBI pays out €1,950.00 to a deceased member’s next of kin in the event of the members death. Payment is usually paid out to the person or people taking responsibility for funeral expenses etc.
- How much do I have to pay for this insurance?
The Loan Insurance, the Life Savings Insurance and the Death Benefit Insurance is paid by the credit union as an operational expense and there is no direct cost to the member.
- How do I go about volunteering for the Credit Union?
The Credit Union always needs volunteers. The Board of Directors, the Board Oversight Committee, the Credit Committee, the Credit Control Committee, the Nominating Committee, the Investment Committee, the Membership Committee and the Marketing Committee are all made up by volunteers, so quite a number of volunteers with varying talents and skills are required. If you would like to play your part as a volunteer contact any member of any of the above committees or leave your name with any staff member in any of our offices.
- I joined the Credit Union when I was at national school but I haven’t used my account for a long time. Do I have to open a new account or how do I find out if my old account is still active?
Simply call into any of our offices, give your name and date of birth to a member of staff and we will check if you are already a member.
If you are already a member and have not used your account for quite some time your account will have been set to dormant. The account is still there and any funds left in the account will still be in the account. To re-activate the account, by law, we must seek up to date details from you i.e. Photographic ID, Recent Proof of Address and your PPS No. When we have received the required documents and you make a lodgement the account will again become active.